ChildLight Yoga and Mindfulness for Tweens and Teens is a yoga teacher training intensive designed to inspire and empower those who work with adolescents. Learn to share yoga and mindfulness tools developed especially for youth ages 10-18 years in this inspiring, “transformative” training intensive. Support tweens and adolescents in developing self-awareness, emotional resilience, healthy body image, and compassion through asana, breathing practices, meditation, community building, “mat chats” and more. Leave the training empowered to make a significant difference in the lives of tweens and teens.
Who should attend
This intensive is designed for anyone who works with pre-adolescent and adolescent youth including:
• Physical Education and Health Education Teachers
• Yoga Instructors or Children’s Yoga Instructors wishing to offer a yoga program for tweens and teens
• School or Family Counselors
• Social Workers
• Occupational Therapists
• Physical Therapists
• Child Psychologists
• Camp Counselors
• Recreation Directors
• And any others who regularly work with tweens and teens
NOTE: Though it is not necessary to have completed an adult yoga teacher training, it’s strongly recommended that participants have some familiarity with yoga postures and alignment through their own practice. Though not required, if this is your first exposure to children’s yoga, you will benefit tremendously from first attending the ChildLight Yoga for Children Training prior to participating in this intensive.
What you will learn:
Learn how to support youth as they navigate through the tween and teen years by providing opportunities to build self-esteem and promote healthy body image while teaching as well as tools for coping with stress and peer pressure in a fun, non-competitive, inclusive environment.
• Neuroscience of the teenage brain and physiology: why tweens and teens feel and act as they do
• Yoga Poses with modifications and suggestions for engagement and safety
• Partner & Group Poses for building community and confidence
• Breathing Exercises for reducing stress and anxiety
• Yogic Philosophy made relevant to tweens and teens
• Yoga Games: learning and connecting vs. competing through age appropriate play
• Engaging mindfulness practices to support self awareness and self regulation
• Visualization and relaxation techniques to support emotional resilience
• Introduction to Mudras: yoga for your hands, whaaat?
• Introduction to Chakras: What's energy got to do with it?
• "Mat chats" for class and beyond promoting reflection, curiosity and awe
• Lesson Planning best practices for creating successful, engaging classes
• Teaching Tips and tools ensuring buy-in, creating a safe place, and more
• Marketing and business strategies
• Resources for continued growth and education
The ChildLight Yoga and Mindfulness for Tweens and Teens Teacher Training is a 18 hour intensive course. Specific hours will vary based on the availability of the host studio/training location (please check the schedule). There will be breaks for lunch and/or dinner, with local eatery suggestions provided. For those traveling from out of town, some lovely, reasonably-priced lodging suggestions can also be provided - please inquire.
It is not necessary to be a Registered Adult Yoga Teacher (RYT) or complete our 95 hour RCYS program in order to attend our trainings.
Certification is optional. Requirements include the completion of a take-home exam and teaching and reflecting on 3 community classes to be offered in your specific location. A detailed certification packet and instruction for completion will be reviewed with the group at the close of the training. Candidates who successfully complete the certification process will be listed as Certified ChildLight Yoga for Tweens and Teens Instructor on our website and earn 18 contact hours toward the ChildLight Yoga Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS) 95 Hour Program according to Yoga Alliance Standards for the Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT) designation.
ChildLight Yoga and Mindfulness for Tweens and Teens Teacher Training Course Includes:
• 18 contact hours, 10 optional non-contact hours for certification
• Comprehensive, fully-illustrated ChildLight Yoga for Tweens and Teens Instructor Manual
• Certification administration and materials including listing on ChildLight Yoga's Find an Instructor Near You page with location and email contact link (upon optional completion of certification process), membership in the CLY for Tweens and Teens Instructor community, and 18 contact hours applicable toward the ChildLight Yoga RCYS 95 Hr Program.
CEUs, PDPs, and Yoga Alliance credit hours:
Registered yoga teachers are eligible for 18 continuing education contact hours and 10 non-contact hours through Yoga Alliance.
Professional Development Points (PDPs) and/or CEUs may also be available through your employer or credentialing organization. As each credentialing organization has their own requirements, you should confirm with them that your training hours will apply toward your degree or continuing education requirements. Application for accreditation from these organizations is your responsibility. Additional fees may be required.
For important information including Recommended Reading and what to bring to this training please visit our FAQ page here.
"Kudos to Anne, she was amazing, energetic, positive, and knowledgeable. I'll add that the classes were some of the best I've attended. Give the girl a high five! "~SM
"The training weekend was FABULOUS! Truly! Ann was a delight, such a balance of knowledge and personal experience. I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn from such a genuine person!" ~MJ
"This training has been the true basis of my extensive work with Teens truly some of the absolutely most rewarding work of my yoga career not to be missed!" -AB
"Even though it's almost been 3 months since I've last seen you, your kind and inspiring words are still resonating with me to this day! I am so excited to submit my post certification documentation to you! I've been using some of the ideas presented in our training with my high school students and with my students at the community center. Both groups find the
activities to be fun and beneficial to their minds, bodies, and souls!" – MH
"The content of the class was ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING. There was a variety, from traditional yoga content (poses, chakras, meditation, etc.) to teen specific content (challenges, nutrition, etc.) to fun games. What made this so engaging was the constant flow of the content from movement to serious discussion to laughter and games. It was just like being in a Vinyasa Flow class, one thing lead right to the next." - KS
"Wow...so many things.....so authentic, heartfelt and filled with helpful tips and tricks. I loved the sharing time between trainees and the opportunity to practice yoga poses, breathwork, mindfulness and games. I was sad to leave on Sunday. The time flew so quickly! The length of the course fits well with my work schedule." -GS
"I found that the class cost was extremely reasonable for the incredible amount of knowledge, resources, manual, etc. that was given to us. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!" - KS
"For those who may be on the fence about taking this training, I would definitely recommend doing it. It is a wonderful training filled with practical ideas you can use right away. It is also very soul-filling and a great way to network with others who teach yoga to teens."- GB